1/3 Photos of Cool Asparagus and Salmon Salad
As we go into summer in the Southern Hemisphere, with temperatures already in the 30 degrees Celsius some days, a cook's thoughts lightly turns to thoughts of salad, to paraphrase Keats or Shelley! I am extremely fond of cold-smoked salmon. We also love green asparagus. Put them together, add a few extra taste notes, and you have a nice salad. This can either be a starter or a light, non-fattening lunch with an icy glass of Sauvignon Blanc! (I used local salmon trout instead of our very expensive imported salmon). Exact quantities are not of great importance here.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- variety lettuce leaf (see directions)
- 7 ounces asparagus tips, green (or any asparagus you like, 200g)
- 3 1/2 ounces salmon, cold-smoked (the thinly sliced kind, 100g)
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 egg, boiled (earlier, to cool down)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon flaked sea salt (or more)
- 1About the lettuce: I used romaine (Cos) lettuce, and sliced it in strips to make a bed for the salad. This is entirely optional, but it does bulk up the salad.
- 2Earlier in the day, boil the asparagus at a very fast boil, without lid, for about 2 - 3 minutes. Rinse under cold water to stop boiling process, and leave to cool, lightly covered.
- 3Boil the egg for 5 - 7 minutes and let cool.
- 4To serve: arrange shredded or sliced lettuce in a flat dish (if using), arrange asparagus on top, and then separate the salmon slices (usually interleaved with plastic). Roll the salmon strips into small rolls, and arrange next to the asparagus.
- 5Dot the salad with the capers, grate over the egg, and sprinkle with black pepper.
- 6Mix the dressing ingredients by whisking in a bowl until emulsified. Please taste: some people prefer it fairly acidic, and others might want to add a pinch more sugar.
- 7You can make this salad a few hours before serving. Cover with plastic wrap and chill.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cool Asparagus and Salmon Salad
Serving Size: 1 (120 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 219.5
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 87.6 mg
- Sodium 663.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 10.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
flaked sea salt