Recipe by AmyZoe
I made this with regular potatoes and left the skins on. I didn't use low-fat milk or reduced-fat sour cream (I don't care for either one). I did use turkey bacon instead of regular bacon (it's what I had). This is quick to prepare, and very flavorful--difficult to stop eating. Absolutely love it. Recipe courtesy of October 2010 Cooking Light
- 4 red potatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 slices bacon, halved
- 1⁄3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 teaspoons green onions, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Pierce potatoes with a fork.
- Microwave on high 13 minutes or until tender.
- Cut in half and cool slightly.
- While potatoes cook, heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and saute 3 minutes.
- Add broth.
- Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk.
- Add to pan with 1 1/2 cups milk.
- Bring to a boil and stir often.
- Cook 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream, salt, and pepper.
- Arrange bacon on a paper towel on microwave-safe plate.
- Cover with a paper towel and microwave on high for 4 minutes.
- Crumble bacon.
- Discard potato skins.
- Coarsely mash potatoes into soup.
- Top with cheese, green onions, and bacon.