I made this with regular potatoes and left the skins on. I didn't use low-fat milk or reduced-fat sour cream (I don't care for either one). I did use turkey bacon instead of regular bacon (it's what I had). This is quick to prepare, and very flavorful--difficult to stop eating. Absolutely love it. Recipe courtesy of October 2010 Cooking Light
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 red potatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 slices bacon, halved
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 teaspoons green onions, thinly sliced
- 1Pierce potatoes with a fork.
- 2Microwave on high 13 minutes or until tender.
- 3Cut in half and cool slightly.
- 4While potatoes cook, heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- 5Add onion and saute 3 minutes.
- 6Add broth.
- 7Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk.
- 8Add to pan with 1 1/2 cups milk.
- 9Bring to a boil and stir often.
- 10Cook 1 minute.
- 11Remove from heat and stir in sour cream, salt, and pepper.
- 12Arrange bacon on a paper towel on microwave-safe plate.
- 13Cover with a paper towel and microwave on high for 4 minutes.
- 14Crumble bacon.
- 15Discard potato skins.
- 16Coarsely mash potatoes into soup.
- 17Top with cheese, green onions, and bacon.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cooking Light Loaded Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (396 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 335.5
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 25.9 mg
- Sodium 498.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 10.0 g
- Protein 12.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth