1/1 Photo of Colombian Arroz Con Pollo
This is a pretty chicken and rice casserole that is made from chicken wing pieces. You can buy them already separated or cut them up yourself. This is how my husband remembers his Grandma made it back in Bogota (with a little tweaking from me, heh heh heh). DH likes it served with maduros and patacones. Feel free to substitute with brown rice, but it will need to cook about 10 minutes longer, or more.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb chicken wings
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cubanelle pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or 1/4 cup beer
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups rice
- 8 ounces frozen peas and carrots
- 1/2 cup pimento-stuffed green olives, sliced
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 4 ounces roasted red peppers, cut into strips
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Prepare chicken wings by cutting off the tips (either toss or use to make broth later); separate wings into two pieces at the joint.
- 3Season generously with salt, pepper, and oregano; set aside while preparing the other ingredients.
- 4Heat broth and saffron, over low heat, in a small covered saucepan (this releases the yellow color from the saffron which will color the rice beautifully).
- 5Heat the oil in a Dutch oven, over medium heat, and brown chicken pieces on all sides, about 8 - 10 minutes; remove, cover, and set aside (they may not be cooked through).
- 6Add onions and peppers to Dutch oven and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 7Add garlic; cook about 1 minute.
- 8Add wine or beer and scrape bottom of pan to remove the brown bits that have stuck onto the pan's bottom.
- 9Add bay leaf, red pepper flakes, rice, and broth with saffron; stir to combine.
- 10Bring mixture almost to a boil, then cover and put in oven (or pour into a pretty oven-safe covered casserole).
- 11Cook in oven until rice is almost tender, about 25 minutes.
- 12Nestle chicken pieces into the rice; rinse peas and carrots, green olives, and capers in a large strainer and distribute over chicken and rice.
- 13Arrange red pepper strips over all, cover, and return to oven until chicken is cooked through and rice is tender, about 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Colombian Arroz Con Pollo
Serving Size: 1 (617 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 741.4
- Calories from Fat 215
- Total Fat 23.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 87.4 mg
- Sodium 1346.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 34.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pimento-stuffed green olives