Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This spicy slaw is perfect with everything from fried chicken to ribs to a pulled pork sandwich. Taken from Redbook.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs savoy cabbage, approx one head, shredded (or napa)
- 4 carrots, shredded
- 2 granny smith apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup light mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (or more to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Toss cabbage, carrots, apples, red onion, and pecans in large bowl.
- In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard, sugar, salt, cumin, cayenne and pepper.
- Add to the cabbage mixture and toss well to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
This was easy to make, but not spicy enough to our tastes. Needed more "heat" and maybe more sugar. If I make again, I will add more cumin, cayenne and sugar.