I don't' know who else likes greens cooked this way, but I do. You could further reduce the calories but substituting all or part of the sugar with artificial sweetener, as long as you don't heat it too much and cause it to lose its sweetness. I never measure my vinaigrette ingredients, so you may have to taste test and adjust the balance of flavors when you make this dish. I really like greens fixed this way.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a heat proof measuring cup, pre-measure sugar and vinegar and garlic salt.
- 2In skillet sauté onion in oil. When onion is partly done, add raw washed stemmed greens.
- 3Add water to bottom of skillet where sautéed onion is and let greens steam, covered for 5 minutes at medium (soft boil) heat.
- 4Flip the greens and onion once during this process. Spatula and tongs together work well for this.
- 5When greens have steamed on both sides and are reasonably soft ( not overcooked), remove greens/onion from hot liquid and set aside in covered bowl (so vitamins don’t escape with the steam).
- 6Let them (greens and onion) cool down part way.
- 7In meantime, pour still warm but not hot pot liquor (green juice) into the heatproof measuring cup wherein you have already placed the sugar and vinegar and garlic salt. Stir all until thoroughly mixed.
- 8Taste test to see that sweet/sour are balanced and not too strong.
- 9Remove cooked greens from covered bowl and on serving platter slice them into bite sized pieces.
- 10Be sure to add in all the cooked onions over the top.
- 11Spoon sweet/sour vinaigrette over greens and cooked onion.
- 12Set in refrigerator to chill for at least two hours. Best eaten cold, but can be eaten right when it is finished too.
Browse Our Top Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cold, Tangy Gently Sweet/Sour Sauteed Greens
Serving Size: 1 (1946 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 185.9
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 6.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 13.7 g
- Protein 0.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: