Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Elegant little after-dinner treats, delicately flavored with coffee and dipped in chocolate. Low carb and low fat, perfect snacks in moderation for diabetics. Three or four of these only amounts to 12-16 grams of carbohydrates and only a trace of fat. Also low in sodium
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, chopped
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees F.
- Grease 2 or 3 cookie sheets or use parchment paper lined sheets.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in medium bowl on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Add granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Fold in confectioners' sugar.
- Stir coffee granules into warm water in small bowl until dissolved.
- Fold into meringue.
- Spoon meringue into piping bag fitted with 1 1/2 inch nozzle.
- Pipe mounds onto cookie sheet, each about 1/2 inch high, 1 inch in diameter and about 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake on lowest rack in oven for 35-40 minutes until dry.
- Turn oven off and let meringues stand in unopened oven until cool.
- Heat chocolate in medium saucepan on lowest heat, stirring often until melted; do hot overheat.
- Removed from heat.
- Stir until smooth.
- Dip bottoms of each meringue into chocolate (or 1 side of each meringue), allowing excess to drip back into saucepan.
- Place on foil or waxed paper-lined cookie sheets.
- Let stand in cool place until chocolate is set.
- Do not chill.
- Store in airtight containers.
WOW thank you for the idea. These sound AWESOME. Can't wait to try!!!!