Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
From Greek Cooking for the Gods, posted for ZWT IV
Top Review by SLA_Gaia
I made this dish yesterday evening for a special birthday dinner and it was a success. I had to introduce some changes as I did not have currants neither cooking wine, so I used dried cranberries instead of currants and 1 tbs of cider vinegar, salt, pepper and the water of soaking the berries as substitute of the wine. I will repeat it following the indicated ingredients, we really loved it!!! Thanks for the recipe!
- 1⁄2 cup dried currant
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 6 cod steaks, each about 3/4 inch thick
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 -2 onion, thinly sliced (or chopped)
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can chopped tomatoes (with liquid)
- 2 whole cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400. In a small bowl combine currants and wine, set aside.
- Oil a baking dish in which cod steaks will fit side by side.
- Place fish steaks in a baking dish. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, then rub with garlic and drizzle with lemon juice.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, warm the 1/2 cup oil.
- Add onions, parsley and tomatoes and cook till onions are soft (5-6 minutes).
- Add cloves and currants and wine, simmer over medium heat 5 minutes.
- Pour sauce over fish steaks.
- Bake until fish flakes easily with a fork (35-45 minutes), basting several times during cooking.
- Transfer fish to serving plates and spoon sauce over top.