Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Good with sweet Thai chili sauce or serve with sauce of your choice. Serve as an appetizer or main dish.
- 3 cups coconut
- 1⁄2 cup white sesame seeds
- 3 -4 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 2 lbs raw shrimp
- 3 eggs
- sea salt, white pepper and cayenne
- oil (for frying)
- Toss coconut with sesame seeds and panko, season with a combination of sea salt, pepper and pinches of cayenne to taste. Season the cornstarch with sea salt and pepper. Beat egg until frothy. Set up a breading line in this order: peeled shrimp, cornstarch, egg, coconut/sesame crumbs and a platter.
- With one hand, dredge shrimp in seasoned cornstarch and dip in egg; drain off excess egg and drop in coconut crumbs. With the other hand, coat shrimp well in crumbs and place on platter. Repeat with all shrimp.
- Deep fry at 320-350 degrees until golden brown, about 60 seconds, and drain on a rack.