Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
A basic, rich ice cream. Time does not include chilling.
- 2 cups cream, milk or 2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup dried unsweetened dried shredded coconut, toasted if you like
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Place the cream and 1/4 cup sugar in a medium heavy bottomed saucepan. Heat, stirring occasionally, until steam rises from the cream.
- Using a whisk or electric mixer, beat 1/4 cup sugar with the egg yolks until light yellow and thick. this should take 2-4 minutes.
- Beat in 1/2 cup hot cream then gradually stir into the saucepan with the remaining cream.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring almost constantly until the mixture reaches 175°F-180°F, or is slightly thickened. Do not allow to boil. The mixture should coat the back of the spoon and leave a trail if you run your finger across it.
- Stir in the coconut and coconut milk. Pour into a covered container and chill to 40°F
- Churn in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Serve immediately or freeze. Eat within 2 days.