Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
really easy to make, with great taste. these can also be baked for those who have fear of frying. the sauce is easily whipped up in a blender or processor, and the results...well, you tell me :)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro or 2 tablespoons Thai basil
- 2 tablespoons minced red peppers
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions or 2 tablespoons chives
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons minced serrano peppers or 2 teaspoons jalapeno chile
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 pinch salt
- 12 ounces raw shrimp, peeled,deveined,chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- cooking spray or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup peeled papaya, diced
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- salad greens
- toasted sesame seeds (to garnish) (optional)
- in a small saute pan add curry powder on medium heat until fragrant, 30-45 seconds, remove.
- mix curry powder and next 13 ingredients, stir well and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- divide into 8 patties, and spray a saute pan with cooking spray or use 1 tbsp olive oil.
- add 4 patties, cook for 5 mins per side until browned, repeat.
- (or you can preheat your oven to 375, spray a pan with spray and cook 10 mins per side).
- for sauce:.
- process papaya, lime juice, water and sugar until smooth.
- to serve:.
- place salad greens on 4 plates.
- top each plate with 2 shrimp cakes, top with sauce, garnish with toasted sesame seeds, serve.
These smelled delicious, the seasoning was perfect but after the first bite i bit into a piece of shrimp that had clearly gone bad so i am giving the 5 stars based on one small bite since its not the recipes fault i couldn't eat more...i was so mad at the shrimp :D The sauce tho was amazing! my papaya wasn't completely ripe so i added a little fresh mango to it as well. Hint for leftover sauce! serve over ice cream, its delicious i actually used both basil and cilantro since i had a small amount only of each, . THis ZWT5 i have used more hot chile peppers than any month before and love it!
Absolutely loved it Chia! Followed your directions, including heating the curry powder, which really does intensify it! Because I couldn't find a papaya in "Mayberry" I substituted mango for the papaya and it was sooo good! The only thing I'll do differently next time is chop the shrimp smaller. This would also make a great appetizer! Made for ZWT 5! Thanks for sharing! PS: This is the first time I've used Panko . . . and it won't be my last. Think this is why the crust is so tasty!