1/1 Photo of Coconut Cream Pie
This is an adaptation of Debbie Field's recipe in "Debbie Field's Great American Desserts". I love pies and this is one of my favorites. To toast coconut and nuts, spread in an even layer on baking sheets and put in top rack of oven preheated to 325 degrees F. Watch closely and stir every 5 minutes or so until nicely browned.
My Private Note
9 inch ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 9-inch deep dish pie crust, baked per package instructions and cooled
- 158.51 ml sugar
- 59.14 ml cornstarch
- 0.25 ml salt
- 473.18 ml half-and-half
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter
- 14.79 ml vanilla extract
- 295.73 ml shredded coconut, lightly toasted
- 59.14 ml shredded coconut, lightly toasted
- 59.14 ml macadamia nuts, chopped and toasted
- 1To make Custard: In heavy saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, an salt.
- 2Slowly stir in the half-and-half until smooth.
- 3Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
- 4Lower heat to maintain simmer and cook, stirring constantly 2 to 3 minutes.
- 5Place egg yolks in a bowl and slowly whisk 1 cup of hot cream into them.
- 6Pour mixture back into the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and just begins to"steam", 4 to 5 minutes.
- 7Do not let boil.
- 8Remove pan from heat and stir in butter and vanilla until smooth.
- 9Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl.
- 10Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface and cool on a wire rack.
- 11When cool, gently fold in the coconut.
- 12Chill for 1 hour.
- 13Make the whipped cream: Put cream, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and beat until thickened using an electric mixer on high.
- 14Assemble pie: Pour the cooled custard into the prebaked crust.
- 15Mound the whipped cream over the filling and sprinkle with the coconut and nuts.
- 16Chill for 2 hours before serving.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Cream Pie
Serving Size: 1 (195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 550.1
- Calories from Fat 351
- Total Fat 39.1 g
- Saturated Fat 21.8 g
- Cholesterol 229.4 mg
- Sodium 256.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 26.7 g
- Protein 8.6 g