Clean Plate Coconut Cream Pie
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk, cold
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, Scalded
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut, Shredded
- 1 pie crust, baked (9-inch)
- Blend sugar, flour and salt with the cold milk.
- Add scalded milk, gradually, stirring constantly.
- Cook on a low heat until thick.
- Add beaten egg yolks.
- Cook 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla extract and coconut.
- Cool then pour into previously baked pie shell.
- Cover with meringue (recipe follows).
- Makes one 9" pie.
- To Make Meringue: use 3 egg whites to cover a 9" pie shell.
- Use 2 level tablespoons granulated sugar for each egg.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. (They should be glossy on top and when you invert the bowl, they should remain in place.).
- Fold in the sugar,gradually.
- Cover the pie with meringue.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I made this today and it is excellent. Only change was to substitute non-fat half & half for the milk because all I had on hand was skim milk. I did put lots of coconut on top of the meringue before baking, The pie is rich and creamy and definitely will use this recipe again. Hubby loved the surprise!!Reply
see 25 more