1/2 Photos of Classic Chicken Pot Pie
3 hrs 40 mins
WannaBeChef #2's Note:
Started making this on cold Canadian winter days. It's pure comfort food at its best.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 whole boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup canadian sherry wine, divided into 1/4
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon dried savory
- 1 whole medium onion
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 celery, sliced
- 10 -15 white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth, from cooking chickens
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons pimientos
- 2 tablespoons of canadian sherry wine
- 1 pastry crust, for top (leftover from a pie, preferably Pate Brisee)
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1Sauté chicken on Med High in the olive oil, using a Dutch Oven.
- 2Make sure the bottom starts to brown, but NOT burn. Occasionally add a splash of sherry to prevent burning (the first 1/4) and deglaze the pan. You will start to get a nice sauce on the bottom. Sauté till chicken has a nice colour on the outside, but still raw on the inside. About 10 minutes.
- 3Add the chicken broth, the last 1/4 of the sherry, whole onion pierced with the cloves, the celery, the carrot, the savory/bay leaves, and the salt/pepper.
- 4Simmer for 2 hours on Low. It should be slightly simmering.
- 5Once done, reserve 2 cups of the broth. Remove chicken and cut into pieces. Let cool. Discard everything else or use it for a soup.
- 6Sauté the carrots, celery and mushrooms in the butter until softened in a Dutch Oven. About 10 minutes.
- 7Add the chicken broth and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 8Remove vegetables from the Dutch Oven.
- 9Preheat oven to 350°.
- 10Mix the flour with the milk. Slowly add this to the chicken broth and blend using a whisk. Heat slowly on Low. Stir continuously until the mixture has thickened to your preferred texture. Don't make it too runny. It should stick nicely to a spoon when dipped.
- 11Add the chicken and vegetables back to the Dutch Oven, with the Sherry and Pimentos.
- 12Mix together gently so as not to break up the chicken pieces.
- 13Pour mixture into a casserole dish. Roll out the pasty and place on top. Place over the edge and press to the dish. Brush the milk on top of the pastry.
- 14Place dish in oven and cook until pastry is golden brown. Between 40 and 50 minutes.
- 15Serve with nice French crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Chicken Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (621 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 893.3
- Calories from Fat 380
- Total Fat 42.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 143.1 mg
- Sodium 2218.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 43.9 g