Recipe by Jeff Hixson
You can adjust the seafood content to suit your taste
Top Review by GinnyP
This is so delicious. We added 3 heaping tsps of red pepper flakes because we like spicy cioppino. We also used already cooked and shelled crab to make it easier. For those who don't know, cioppiono (chuh-PEE-noh) is (by Webster's definition) an Italian or Italian-American stew made with tomatoes and a variety of fish and shellfish. I've only had cioppino in restaurants before now. This was as good or better than those I've had out.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 white onion
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 3 bell peppers, finely chopped (green, yellow, red)
- 8 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bunch finely chopped fresh fennel, white portion only
- 1 (28 ounce) canitalian whole peeled plum tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 bottle red wine (merlot)
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 4 cups clam juice or 4 cups fish stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 bunch chopped Italian parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 24 mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 24 small hard-shell clams (cherrystone, manila)
- 1 crab, cooked separated and cracked
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb bay scallop
- 2 lbs firm white fish fillets, cut into pieces (halibut or cod)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a stockpot over medium heat.
- Add onion, shallots and bell peppers.
- Cook while stirring until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add fennel and garlic and cook another 3 minutes while stirring.
- Add tomatoes,including juice, and break them up with a spoon.
- Add tomato paste and stir thoroughly until blended.
- Add wine, clam juice, water, lemon juice, parsley, bay leaves, red pepper flakes, thyme and oregano.
- Simmer, partially covered for 45 minutes.
- Add mussels, clams cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining seafood, cover and cook another 5 minutes or until most clams and mussels open.
- Discard any that do not open.
- Remove from heat, cover for 5 more minutes more.
- Adjust seasoning.