Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
My mum bought me a cookery book called 'Muffins Galore' (by Catherine Atkinson), and this is the first recipe I have tried and was very impressed!! This makes 10 of the regular sized muffins (my tin has 7cm diameter holes). You could put water in the spare two holes to save your pan buckling!
- 250 g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 110 g caster sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 225 ml milk
- 85 g butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 75 g light brown sugar (soft)
- Preheat the oven to 190deg C/375 deg F/ Gas Mark 5. Grease 10 cups of a 12 cup muffin tin or line 10 cups with paper muffin cases. For the cinnamon sugar, mix together the cinnamon and the light brown sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- For the Muffins, mix the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl. In a separate bowl or jug, mix together the egg, milk and melted butter. Add the wet ingredients all at once to the dry ingredients and mix briefly until just combined (I used a spatula, and made sure it was still lumpy).
- Put a tablespoon of the batter into each prepared muffin cup. Sprinkle each muffin with a heaped teaspoon of cinnamon sugar, then spoon some more batter and cinnamon sugar into the muffin cup. Finish with a layer of batter, dividing it evenly. Using a fine skewer or the tip of a sharp knife, swirl the mixture in each muffin cup to achieve the marbled effect.
- Bake in the oven for 18-20 mins, or until risen and golden. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes (the sugar mixture will remain really hot, so don't be tempted to try them sooner), then turn out onto a wire rack. Serve warm or cold. These can be frozen too!
bravissimo! now i will work on healthifying it.
Fabulous! Really easy to do. Mine did take a little extra time to cook, but I think maybe I had larger muffin cases than you. I made a double recipe and only got 17 muffins. I sprinkled a little extra cinnamon sugar on the top as well. Have a photo to post when I find the camera lead! :o)
Excellent recipe, DH loved it. Very light with a nice fluffy texture. I made 12 muffins instead of 10 and everything eas fine, including cooking times. Thanks!