Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Found this on landolakes.com and made it the same day, yesterday, and it is just awesome! I can't think of anything nicer as a coffee cake - it has the almonds baked throughout and it's just too marvelous for words. You can use Amaretto instead of almond extract in glaze and cake.
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, coarsley chopped
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or 2 tablespoons unsalted margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter or 1 cup unsalted margarine, softened
- 1⁄3 cup almond paste
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 360°F.
- Butter and flour a 10" angel food cake(tube) pan or 12-cup Bundt pan.
- Combine all filling ingredients in small bowl.
- Beat at low speed until well mixed; set aside.
- Combine flour, cake flour and baking powder in small bowl.
- Combine sugar, 1 cup butter and almond paste in large bowl.
- Beat at medium speed until creamy.
- Continue beating, adding eggs one at a time, until well mixed.
- Add almond extract and vanilla.
- Reduce speed to low.
- Beat gradually adding combined flour, cake flour and baking powder alternately with milk, until well mixed.
- Pour half of batter into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle filling over batter so filling does not touch sides of pan.
- Spoon remaining batter over filling.
- Bake 45-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan.
- Meanwhile, combine powdered sugar, almond extract and enough milk for desired glazing consistency in small bowl.
- Drizzle over warm cake; sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Cool completely.
- *Substitute 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour.