Recipe by Tonkcats
This is my family's favorite Chili. We serve this over Spaghetti. Can be served with Cheddar Cheese, Kidney Beans, Onions and Oyster Crackers
Top Review by cota39
My husband had prepared this recipe for dinner and mentioned he only cooked it for an hour(instead of 3hrs.) since he had not read the instructions, and it was delicious. Simmering for three hours will be fabulous the next time! Thanks in Festus, MO
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 quart water
- 2 medium onions, finely grated
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 5 whole allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, ground
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 ounce unsweetened chocolate (1/2 sq.)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 large bay leaf, whole
- 5 whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 4 quart saucepot, add ground beef to water. Stir until beef separates to a fine texture. Boil slowly for half an hour.
- Add all other ingredients. Stir to blend, bringing to a boil; reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 3 hours.
- Last hour, pot may be covered after desired consistency is reached.
- Chili should be refrigerated overnight so that fat can be skimmed from the top before reheating.
- If you use very lean (95% or higher) beef you may not need to skim.