Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
From 'Tapas". Simply add a crusty loaf of bread and dinner's on the table. Posted for ZWT3.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup green pepper, cored, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low-sodium tomatoes, chopped, with their juice
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 4 1⁄2 cups carrots, peeled and sliced 1/2 in thick
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, s cut into 3/4 in cubes
- 1 (10 ounce) packed frozen green beans
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a stockpot or 5-quart Dutch oven, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the onion, green pepper, and garlic. Sauté until soft.
- Stir in tomatoes and juice, chicken stock, water, rice, and basil. Bring to a boil. Simmer gently, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add carrots and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, green beans, and olives. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Add black pepper.
This soup is our first post-holiday, vegetable-loaded, chicken soup. I have made before in the crock pot and my entire family loved it. I cooked on low all day and added the rice about 20 minutes before serving. This time, I made according to recipe on the stove top except I got a little carried away slicing carrots with one of my Christmas presents. I compensated for the additional carrots with a little more green bean (about 16 oz versus 10 oz), tossed in fresh spinach, doubled the basil, added a little more rice (3/4 cup versus 1/2), another 2 cups chicken broth, and a tad more garlic and about a teaspoon onion powder. It seems pretty thick but looks like pictures and has a nice flavor. I intend to let it sit overnight, and we will warm it up have it for both lunch and dinner tomorrow with salad. Sadly, not with bread!
We all enjoyed this recipe. It was a very hearty, comforting soup for a cold winter day. I actually made it twice, once for a Christmas caroling party, another time for guest. It was enjoyed both times by all. Thanks
Excellent Chicken Soup! Soup lovers that we are am constantly looking for and adding new recipes to my Soup file - into my file for this one. Other than being short on the olives made as posted. Loved the way the ingredients came together making for delicious soup with great eye appeal. How good - looked so good we had supper early. (can't wait for green beans fresh from the garden) Served with Dotty2's recipe#402137 for an lovely evening meal. Made for Auz/NZ Swap.