Chunky Turkey Soup, Mediterranean Style
photo by Olive
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice, do not drain
- 1⁄2 cup long grain rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green beans
- 2 cups roasted turkey, cut into 1-inch cubes or 2 cups cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 cup chopped black olives
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In a large stockpot, heat the oil over moderate heat.
- Add the onion, green pepper, and garlic and sauté, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, chicken broth, water, carrots, rice, and basil. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the green beans, black olives, turkey and salt and pepper. Cook uncovered for about 5 minutes or so until soup is heated through.
- Serve with garlic sticks or crusty bread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p> I have been a Member since 2007.....not 2010. I haven't gotten any notifications for at least 8 months.<img title=Yell src=/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-yell.gif border=0 alt=Yell /></p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p> <img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg alt=/ /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></p>