Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1⁄4 cup hazelnuts, finely chopped
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup rolled old fashioned oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fine salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 mini muffin tins with mini muffin liners, or set out 20 mini muffin liners on a baking sheet. Lightly spray liners with nonstick spray and sprinkle the hazelnuts into the bottom of each muffin liner.
- Whisk the flour, cocoa, wheat germ, oats, spices and salt together in a medium bowl.
- With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and sugar in another bowl until combined, about 2 minutes. Add the egg yolks and beat together. Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Scoop a tablespoon of dough (about 3/4 ounce) into the mini muffin tins or liners, on top of the nuts. (Alternatively, drop heaping tablespoons of the dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and top with chopped nuts.) Bake until the cookies are cooked through and nuts are toasty, about 15 minutes (drop cookies will bake slightly faster). Transfer cookies to a rack to cool. Serve.