Recipe by Grace Fung
This is a cake to die for! Chocaholics will love this one. Indulge yourselves without the guilt!!
- 100 g pitted prunes
- 3⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons icing sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and line a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper.
- Place the prunes, apple juice and bicarbonate of soda in a saucepan, bring to the boil, turn off the heat, cover and leave to cool.
- Once cool, puree until smooth.
- Sift the flour and cocoa and stir into the cooled prune puree.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, adding sugar gradually.
- Fold half the egg whites into the prune mixture and then fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Keep stirring gently until the egg white is incorporated.
- Spoon into the cake tin and bake for 35 minutes or until a cake skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack and just before serving, sieve the icing sugar over the top.
- Serve with low-fat ice cream, low-fat fruche, or a coulis made from pureed, frozen raspberries.