Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I made this mud cake for Valentine's Day and put lots of heart candies over the top. very moist and chocolaty! I got this out of a Women's Weekly magazine.
- 200 g butter
- 200 g good quality dark cooking chocolate
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 tablespoons espresso powder or 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3⁄4 cup self raising flour, sifted
- 150 g good quality dark chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- Preheat oven to 160°C or 140°C for fan forced.
- Grease and line a 22cm round cake tin.
- Combine butter, chocolate, cocoa, coffee power, water, and vanilla in saucepan.
- Use a whisk to whisk over low heat until smooth and well combined.
- Remove from heat set aside until lukewarm.
- Use electric beaters beat eggs sugar until pale and creamy.
- Add chocolate mixture and flour and whisk until combined.
- Pour into cake tin; bake 55 minutes or until moist crumbs cling to a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake.
- Remove from oven.
- Sit in pan for 15 minutes or more before turning out.
- Allow to cool completely before icing.
- For chocolate ganache: Combine chocolate and cream in saucepan over medium heat stir until mixture is melted and smooth. Cool 5 minutes before spreading over cake.
By far the best and easiest mudcake i have ever come accross! It was still incredibly moist by the 5th day. I used a 20cm long sandwich loaf tin to get a bit of extra height and had to cook for around 1 hour and 20 mins. The best!