Recipe by Barb G.
This is a very chocolatly bread pudding with a taste of kahlua. Serve this warm treat with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. The recipe comes from Hometown Recipes. Note:Can be made with splenda. Rest time not included in prep time.
Top Review by Geniale Genie
Loved this! Used Tia Maria instead of brandy and a very scant amount of sugar. I also threw in some walnuts and omitted the chocolate chips in the middle (using just 1 cup, melted). Placed the bread cubes directly into the loaf pan and poured the mixture over top, that way, I just had to take the loaf pan right into the oven (no spilling or losses). Next time I'll omit the spices and use orange zest instead.
- 3 cups semisweet chocolate, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar or 1⁄2 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup Kahlua or 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cups cubed stale bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; grease an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch (6 cup) loaf pan.
- Melt 1 cup chocolate chips (in microwave) and set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, melted chocolate and Kahlua in a large bowl.
- Stir in milk: add bread cubes and let rest for 30 minutes; stirring occasionally to make sure the bread is evenly soaked.
- Ladle half of the mixture into loaf pan, Spread remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Add the remaining mixture; Bake for about 55 minutes or until the center is set, cool, ENJOY.