Recipe by Pam-I-Am
A chocolate twist on the classic Honey Bun Cake that starts with a box cake mix. It is made in a 9 x 13 pan. You can also use walnuts or almonds instead of pecans.
Top Review by mandabears
this cake was so easy to make and easy to eat. I love the cinnamon with the chocolate flavor. I did not use the pecans in the cake, just because I am not a fan of nuts in cake, but did use them ground on top of the frosting. thank you for posting this recipe.
- 1 (19 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2⁄3 cup pecans, chopped (reserve 1/3)
- 1⁄3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate frosting
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease bottom only of a 9 x 13 pan with shortening or cooking spray.
- Beat cake mix, water, oil, eggs and sour cream in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, then increase to medium speed for 1 minute. Spread half of the batter in pan.
- In a separate bowl, mix brown sugar, 1/3 cup of the pecans, chocolate chips and cinnamon; sprinkle over the batter in the pan.
- Drop remaining batter by spoonfuls evenly over pecan mixture; carefully spread to cover.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until top quickly springs back when touched lightly in center.
- Spread frosting evenly over warm cake (frosting will be very thin.) sprinkle the remaining nuts on top for garnish.
- Cool completely about 2 hours.