Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
"Makes Great Holiday Fudge"
Make and share this Chocolate Fudge Frosting recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 7 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 pinches salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- Bring the above ingredients to a full boil.
- Boil 3 minutes.
- Beat by hand until consistency of soft fudge, or stiff enough to spread on a cake.
- To make fudge, add nuts, turn out onto waxed paper, and cut into squares.
- If mixtures becomes too stiff, a few drops of water will restore to spreading consistency.
- **Note: You use 1/2 Cup plus 1 teaspoon of butter.
I thought I ruined this because it would never set up. It was very saucy after boiling and stirring it. Then, I just left it on the counter for a half hour then put it in the fridge to cool. It came out perfectly! Not too thick or thin and it tastes delicious!
Although this had a good chocolate taste, that is about the only positive thing I can say about the recipe. It never thickened for me; even after following these directions and letting it cool, I tried reheating it and adding 2 Tbsp of cornstarch. Didn't work. I had a chocolate SAUCE, not the frosting that I needed! And when cooled it had a slight grainy texture, like the sugar never dissolved properly. I don't understand why others who have reviewed this had no problem?! My one idea is that the "sugar" called for should have been confectioner's sugar. But any cook knows that they are not one and the same and should be specified!! Could someone let me know what went wrong?
I would like to double-check the ingredients before I make this frosting. It calls for 2 different butter ingredients instead of 1. Otherwise sounds wonderful.