Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a wonderful rich dessert with not one but two fruits--apricot and apple. Serve this warm with vanilla ice cream or yogurt. You can leave the peel on the apples or if your prefer you can peel them. I use old fashioned oats just because I like the texture.
- 1 (14 ounce) can apricots, in natural juice
- 1 lb cooking apple, cored and thickly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup oats
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄3 cup white chocolate chips
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped pecans or 1⁄4 cup walnuts
- Spray an ovenproof dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain the canned apricots, reserving 4 tablespoon of the juice.
- Pour the apricots in prepared pan and add sliced apples, toss with reserved juice and sprinkle with raisins.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, cut the butter into the flour until fine and crumbly.
- Stir in the oats, sugar, chocolate chips and nuts.
- Sprinkle the flour mixture over the fruit; do not press into the fruit.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until topping lightly brown.
- Can be served hot or cold.
I was making apple crumble the other night and at the same time was skyping with my DD in UK and she suggested I do a variation and looked up this recipe for me and dictated it to me as I cooked !!! The wonders of modern technology !! Hence my crumble was all apple but the extra additions especially the chocolate of course certainly added a wow factor - it was just delicious and I served it with fig and ginger ice cream !! I used almonds as my nuts and dark chocolate pus regular course oats. just YUM !!
I used canned peaches in light syrup instead of the apricots in natural juice because that is what I had in the pantry. I used granny smith apples, a gluten free rice flour mix (tapioca starch + white rice flour). I used regular oats as I like the texture a lot more as well. I used a dark brown sugar and only white chocolate chips out of preference, dark raisins & the walnut option. Made for Veggies and Fruits Tag Game.
WOW!!! This was great! I never had chocolate crisp before, but I have a feeling I will have it much much more often now! This dessert was half gone by the time I could snap a pic! I made them into little ramkins and it turned out great. Made for ZWT 3!