Sour Cherry Crumble
photo by J-Lynn
- Ready In:
- 1 lb sour cherry, pitted (to pit the cherries, squeeze them between your fingers)
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup packed demerara sugar
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 350*F.
- Toss cherries with granulated sugar and place in an ovenproof dish.
- Combine flour, ginger, cinnamon and Demerara sugar.
- Using your fingertips (or the food-processor) rub butter into flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle mixture over fruit.
- Bake at 350*F for 35-40 minutes or until golden.
- Serve hot or cold with cream or custard.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Excellent flavor; must eat it warm with vanilla ice cream!! I was disappointed in the appearance of the finished dessert, but realized this: I chose this recipe because it had less butter, sugar, and flour than most similar recipes. And duh, that translates to less crumb topping! But it is still very tasty, in spite of its looks. I can't remember the last time I had a (fresh) sour cherry dessert... delicious!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
An older gentleman who enjoys cooking and is currently exploring the tastes and cooking methods of Oceania, the East and the Orient. I value time spent sharing food with friends. Is there a better feeling than the sublime mellowness and goodwill which, by candle-light, can blanket pleasant company at the end of a splendid meal?