Swiss Chard & Potato Soup
photo by sarsalam
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 bunch swiss chard, trimmed, leaves and stems chopped separately (to make about 6 cups of chopped leaves)
- 2 cups yukon gold potatoes, peeled, diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup swiss chard, thinnly sliced
- Heat butter in a pot over medium heat. Add onions and swiss chard stems and saute for 2 minutes or until softened.
- Add potatoes, chicken stock and milk and bring to a boil.
- Simmer soup for 5 minutes; add swiss chard leaves (reserving 1/4 cup for garnish) and simmer 5 minutes longer or until potatoes are very soft and chard is wilted.
- Puree soup in a blender or food processor (An immersion blender also works well). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium high heat. Working in batches, add Swiss chard (be careful, as it will pop and splatter oil) and fry for 1 to 2 minutes or until crisped.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Garnish soup with crinkled Swiss chard.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!