Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
"I got the recipe for these moist, filled cupcakes from a dear friend about 25 years ago. I have made them many times for my family and for church functions. They're irresistible." Submitted to Taste of Home by Vivian Morris
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3 3⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pecans
- For filling, in a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and 1/2 t. salt until combined. Fold in chocolate chips; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and remaining sugar and salt. In another bowl, whisk water, oil, and vinegar; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill paper lined muffin cups half full with batter. Drop filling by heaping tablespoonfuls into the center of each. Bake at 350 for 24-26 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large mixing bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, cocoa, butter, milk and vanilla; beat until blended. Frost cupcakes; sprinkle with pecans. Store in the refrigerator.