Gluten-Free, Low-Carb Chocolate Amaretto Cream Cheese Cupcakes
photo by Mia in Germany
- Ready In:
- 3 1⁄2 ounces almond flour
- 1 teaspoon guar gum or 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 ounces dark chocolate (at least 70 %)
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄8 cup agave nectar
- 1 ounce butter
- 1⁄8 cup amaretto liqueur
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
cream cheese filling
- 2 1⁄2 ounces cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 ounces butterscotch chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350° F (320° F when fan assisted).
Cream cheese filling:
- chop butterscotch chocolate (if you don't use chips).
- dissolve starch in amaretto (or almond essence or syrup with 1 or 2 tablespoons cold water).
- stir in cream cheese until creamy.
- stir in maple syrup.
- stir in chopped chocolate.
- combine almond flower, guar gum or xanthan gum and baking powder in a bowl.
- beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, set aside.
- in a double boiler, melt chocolate and butter.
- in a seperate bowl, cream egg yolks and agave nectar.
- stir amaretto into melted butter-chocolate mix.
- cream melted butter-chocolate-amaretto mix and egg yolk-agave nectar.
- stir dry ingredients into that cream.
- fold in egg whites.
- line six cupcake cups with paper liners.
- divide the chocolate batter and fill one dollop of the first half into the bottom of each cupcake cup.
- fill one dollop of cream cheese filling on top of each portion.
- cover with the second half of the chocolate batter.
- bake at 350° F (or 320° F fan assisted) for about 15-20 minutes. The surface of the cakes will spring and crack. Don't mind if you can see the filling, and don't mind if it looks liquid. It will solidify after cooling.
- Immediately remove the cakes from the cups and let cool on a rack.
- You can eat them hot, like my husband did, they will be a bit like molten lava cakes or some kind of pudding. Or you can let them cool and top with you favourite frosting.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!