Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a filling and flavorful low calorie meatloaf that is made more healthy with the addition of veggies. Serve with riced potatoes and a salad for a nutritious meal.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red pepper, and
- green pepper, mixed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1 beef bouillon cube (or packet)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 4 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese, grated (if not using low cal. reduce to 3 oz.)
- 4 slices low-calorie bread, pulsed in a food processor into crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- salt and pepper
- chives (optional)
- chili sauce, to taste
- Saute onions, peppers, garlic, carrots and celery and beef bullion packet in a pan sprayed with non stick spray until soft.
- Mix sauted vegetables with remaining ingredients. Shape into a loaf and bake 40-60 minutes in a 350 degree oven in a pan sprayed with non-stick spray. Serve topped with a dash of chili sauce or catsup.
This is a perfect example of a dish that's made healthy and tastes even better than the original. I topped it with marinara instead of ketchup just because it's the way we like to have meatloaf in our house. I would highly recommend it to everyone, especially to parents who are trying to include more veggies in their children's diet. Thank you.
After speaking with Jan I made this using extra lean ground beef. I love the veggie content and the fact that it holds together while slicing. The fact that it makes the house smell "like home" while in the oven doesn't hurt any either. DH thought that it could have done with half the amount of veggies, what is it with some men and vegetables anyway? It was delicious as is. Made for Photo Tag.