Top Review by lolablitz
Fun to make in my food processor (pulse to cut the butter, then pulse to mix in cheese and chives). I used unsalted butter and the full amount of salt and it was a little salty. I also made the mistake of cooking them on the bottom rack so the bottoms of the biscuits got a little more brown than I like. Toddler Loved them :)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (I used less about 1 tsp)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick butter)
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk or 3⁄4 cup sour milk
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk or 2 tablespoons sour milk
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450-degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine dry ingredients together (flour - baking soda).
- Cut in butter using two knives or a pastry cutter until mixture is about the size of peas.
- Stir in buttermilk, cheese and chives, stirring with a fork to form a loose dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured board, kneading dough a few times (about 10) and then pat into a 6-inch x 9-inch rectangle; fold into thirds like a letter and then pat into a 6 x 9 inch rectangle again.
- Dip edges of 3-inch biscuit cutter into flour (I used a coffee mug) and cut out 6 biscuits; transferring biscuits to a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with Pam or lined with parchment paper. Form and cut dough for another biscuit or two (I ended up whit 7 biscuits).
- Brush tops of biscuits with cream.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes or until biscuits are browned.