Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These were so good with chili (we had them with Crock Pot Cowboy Stew) and a great way to use up some garden chives! Recipe source: Saveur (April 2007)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (I used less about 1 tsp)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick butter)
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk or 3⁄4 cup sour milk
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk or 2 tablespoons sour milk
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 450-degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine dry ingredients together (flour - baking soda).
- Cut in butter using two knives or a pastry cutter until mixture is about the size of peas.
- Stir in buttermilk, cheese and chives, stirring with a fork to form a loose dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured board, kneading dough a few times (about 10) and then pat into a 6-inch x 9-inch rectangle; fold into thirds like a letter and then pat into a 6 x 9 inch rectangle again.
- Dip edges of 3-inch biscuit cutter into flour (I used a coffee mug) and cut out 6 biscuits; transferring biscuits to a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with Pam or lined with parchment paper. Form and cut dough for another biscuit or two (I ended up whit 7 biscuits).
- Brush tops of biscuits with cream.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes or until biscuits are browned.
Fun to make in my food processor (pulse to cut the butter, then pulse to mix in cheese and chives). I used unsalted butter and the full amount of salt and it was a little salty. I also made the mistake of cooking them on the bottom rack so the bottoms of the biscuits got a little more brown than I like. Toddler Loved them :)
Absolutely delicious!!! These biscuits were so quick and easy to make and tasted just fantastic! They were flaky and moist on the inside with a lovely crunchy crust! The chives and cheddar go so well together and make for a very hearty, yummy taste! I made a little mistake, cause a few minutes after putting them in the oven I realised I had forgotten to add the cheese to the dough, so I just went ahead and put it on top. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this winner of a recipe with us, ellie_! I will surely make it again and again! Made and reviewed for PRMR Holiday Special Decembre 09.
Excellent! Rich (but lite), exquisite flavor and aroma, easy-as-could-be, and very quick in and out of the oven! We had a spring snow storm today that dumped 9 1/2 INCHES of snow on us but that didn't stop me from shoveling out my chives and getting a good handful (not a half-cup though)...so that was FRESH! Thanks for the good directions on rolling out the dough (otherwise I would've made a BIG rectangle!!), this way it's JUST the right size. I ended up with 8 LARGE biscuits. Ellie, you've got a KEEPER here!