Savor your homegrown tomatoes all year, by making this smokey, garlic filled salsa. Do use the food processor to shred the veggies to cut chopping time down. If you have the time roast your garlic then add it to the salsa to double the pleasure! ;)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 3 large red bell peppers, 4 cups shredded
- 3 -4 onions, 4 cups shredded
- 6 ounces chipotle chiles in adobo (minced removing seeds is optional)
- 1 bunch fresh basil, 1/2 cup chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, 1/2 cup chopped
- 1 lemon, juice
- 3⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1 bulb of garlic, minced
- 1 -2 tablespoon salt, to taste
- 16 cups diced tomatoes, stems and cores removed
- Place all in a large pot bringing to a boil then reduce and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Fill into hot sterile jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace removing any air bubbles.
- Being careful not to leave any salsa on the rims.
- Wipe jar rims with a clean, damp paper towel. Put on lids and screw on metal bands.
- Process for 10 minutes in a hot water bath.
- Label and store in a dark place. Use with 1 year.