Vanilla Bean's Note:
I combined a couple of recipes to come up with this one. It is a perfect meal to have in the freezer for when you want something spicy. For a milder version, use less chipotle peppers. I have served it to company and everyone has loved it. Add a side salad and you are all set. Serve with sour cream and guacamole on the side. OMAC directions at the end.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 907.18 g ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 283.49 g can black olives, sliced
- 2 (226.79 g) can green chili peppers
- 396.89 g can diced tomatoes
- 155.92 g can tomato paste
- 3 chipotle chiles in adobo
- 473.18 ml beef broth
- 29.58 ml chili powder
- 14.79 ml cumin
- 9.85 ml white vinegar
- 8 large flour tortillas
- 946.36 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the ground beef for 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and saute until the ground beef is cooked.
- 3While ground beef is cooking, puree the chipotle peppers until smooth. Add a bit of water to the chipotles if necessary.
- 4Drain off any excess fat from the ground beef.
- 5Mix in the tomato paste with the ground beef. Continue cooking about 5 minutes being careful not to burn the mixture.
- 6Add beef broth, diced tomatoes, olives, green chilies, chipotle peppers, chili powder, cumin and vinegar.
- 7Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 8Spread a thin layer of the meat mixture in the bottom of a 4 quart casserole dish. Layer in the following order. Flour tortillas, meat mixture, cheese. Repeat for one (or more) layers.
- 9For OMAC, freeze at this point. I use 4-1 quart casserole dishes when making this for the freezer. Let thaw overnight before baking.
- 10Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chipotle Burrito Pie -- OAMC
Serving Size: 1 (250 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 351.8
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 38.6 mg
- Sodium 769.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 16.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo