Recipe by Sue Lau
This Chinese fried rice has the flavor those other recipes are missing. Tastes like takeout. I want to dedicate this dish to Bergy, whose recipe "AM & B's Indonesian Mehoon" has inspired this dish. Make sure you season your rice with salt before it cooks. Add some butter to the cooking water, as well. Other seasonings should be added before you cook, as well, so it has time to get inside the rice. If you like sesame flavor, add 1 tsp. of it after you add the green onions, but do not use it as a cooking oil because it easily burns.
Top Review by papergoddess
We loved this!! My family is big on restaurant fried rice, but we only get it when we eat out. I attempted to make it several time years ago with disasterous results. After reading several threads here on using left-over rice, I went hunting for a good recipe and found this one! There was none left, and I won't be afraid to make it again. I'll confess, I used probably twice as much soy sauce, and added and extra dash of sesame oil - personal taste, and not heart-smart, but, hey, what can I say?
- 177.44 ml finely chopped onion
- 36.97 ml oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (or more eggs if you like)
- 0.19 ml soy sauce
- 0.19 ml sesame oil
- 226.79 g cooked lean boneless pork or 226.79 g chicken, chopped
- 118.29 ml finely chopped carrot (very small)
- 118.29 ml frozen peas, thawed
- 946.36 ml cold cooked rice, grains separated (preferably medium grain)
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 473.18 ml bean sprouts
- 29.58 ml light soy sauce (add more if you like)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in wok; add chopped onions and stir-fry until onions turn a nice brown color, about 8-10 minutes; remove from wok.
- Allow wok to cool slightly.
- Mix egg with 3 drops of soy and 3 drops of sesame oil; set aside.
- Add 1/2 tbsp oil to wok, swirling to coat surfaces; add egg mixture; working quickly, swirl egg until egg sets against wok; when egg puffs, flip egg and cook other side briefly; remove from wok, and chop into small pieces.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in wok; add selected meat to wok, along with carrots, peas, and cooked onion; stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add rice, green onions, and bean sprouts, tossing to mix well; stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Add 2 tbsp of light soy sauce and chopped egg to rice mixture and fold in; stir-fry for 1 minute more; serve.
- Set out additional soy sauce on the table, if desired.