Recipe by Tish
This is a make ahead (Once a Month Cooking) recipe that is bound to help those working families out there who want a home made meal in 30 minutes. You just need to set aside a bit of time on a weekend or evening to do a few meals and you definitely won't regret it!
Top Review by Cathy R.
Made this recipe many times, always delicious, the original recipe and the instruction call for dry beans, as they soak up the flavors better, cooking with the onion and garlic. A huge hit with teens, great for any gathering or just for a meal.
- 8 ounces dry pinto beans (1 1/4 cups)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup grated low-fat monterey jack cheese
- 1 dozen corn tortilla
- 1 (11 1/2 ounce) jar salsa
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse pinto beans, soak them in cold water overnight, then drain.
- Cut chicken into 1" cubes; cook until no longer pink in small amount of water.
- Combine chicken with chilies and seasonings; refrigerate until needed.
- At the same time, combine beans, chicken broth, garlic, salt, and onion in a large pot; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until beans are soft, about 1 hours.
- Add more water if necessary.
- Combine chicken and spices with beans; simmer 10 more minutes.
- cool and freeze.
- Grate cheese, put in a 1 qt bag, and attach it to the freezer container with the chili.
- To serve, thaw chili and cheese.
- Simmer chili 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Top chili with salsa and grated cheese; serve on warmed corn tortillas.