Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A nice comfy twist on an old favourite. This is a beanless chili with a quick crust. I've made this lower carb by using soy flour, but you can use regular flour if you'd like.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 6 ounces Italian sausage or 6 ounces chorizo sausage
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (I don't use salt) (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (you could use 1 cup of finely chopped tomatoes too)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Tabasco sauce, to taste (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2⁄3 cup defatted soy flour (flour of choice)
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon oil or 1 tablespoon melted butter
- tomatoes, cut in wedges,for garnish
- Melt butter in 9 inch round pan or skillet (oven proof).
- Saute onion until soft, stir in garlic, saute a minute.
- Remove sausage from casing; cook, breaking up meat for 10 minutes; pour off any grease.
- Stir in chili powder, oregano, salt (if used) and pepper.
- Add ground beef, brown; stir in tomato sauce (or chopped tomatoes); Bring mixture to a simmer; remove from heat; sprinkle with cheese.
- In a bowl, combine milk, flour, cornmeal, egg and oil; beat vigorously, pour topping over mixture in skillet or round pan.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 35 minutes or until golden brown and fluffy; serve immediately.