Recipe by sparkle31400
This chili recipe is so good! It did not come from a written recipe so I don't have exact measurements.I just add what's needed until it tastes right.I usually make the pinto beans from a leftover spiral ham bone (saving the liquid from the bottom of the pan the ham was cooked in-liquid gold I call it-adding to the chili also)and have the beans for dinner one night and chili the next.there's only 3 in my family so it works out just right!
Top Review by BBQ & Beer
This isn't a recipe, it's a list of ingredients. If it doesn't taste good, is it the recipe's fault or my fault? Make the recipe and measure out the ingredients so we can approximate what you've done.
- ground beef
- ground pork
- diced onion
- diced celery
- diced green pepper
- tomato sauce
- beef base (bullion cubes will work)
- chili powder
- black pepper (freshly ground)
- salt (optional)
- roasted garlic
- dry mustard
- 1 ounce tequila
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer (I use Corona)
- sugar (not a lot-just enough to reduce acidity)
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- ground coriander
- hot sauce
- cayenne pepper (adjust to taste or omit)
- homemade pinto beans, made using leftover ham bone from a spiral cut ham (You can also use kidney beans or canned pinto beans but chili is not as good)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef and pork.
- Steam or boil the browned meat to remove the fat (please don't skip this step or your chili will be GREASY!).
- Drain meat again and place back in pan and add onion, celery, green pepper, and some of the dry seasonings above to season the meat mixture.
- Add all ingredients except beans to a large pot.
- Simmer on low for 2-3 hours,adding beans the last half hour of cooking time.