Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I fell in love with Chilaquiles while on a trip to Cancun. I recently found this recipe from Rick Bayless, and I am thrilled to have it! I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure that it is to die for like everything else he does. I've posted it here for safe keeping. When I do make it, I will probably scale it down for just the two of us. update; This was amazing! Just like I remembered! I made this today and used 1 jar of the salsa and 1 cup of chicken broth. I also bought a package of refrigerated corn tortillas. I cut into 9ths pizza style, and fried them in oil. I used 18 tortillas. I used a mexican queso fresco, a mexican crumbling fresh farmers type cheese for the garnish. Totally delish! My scaled down verson would feed 4 to 6 as a main dish, or maybe 10 as a side.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, sliced (divided use)
- 3 (16 ounce) jars salsa, preferably fire-roasted tomatillo salsa
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 24 ounces tortilla chips, preferably rustic homestyle ones
- 2 cups shredded mexican melting cheese (like Chihuaua or monteray Jack)
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3⁄4 cup Mexican crema or 3⁄4 cup sour cream thinned with a little milk or 3⁄4 cup cream
- 1⁄2 cup grated mexican queso anejo (optional) or 1⁄2 cup other garnishing cheese (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro (to garnish)
- In a very large, (6-quart) Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium high.
- Add about 2/3 of the onions, and cook, stirring often, until richly browned.
- Add salsa and broth and bring to a boil.
- When sauce is at a rolling boil, turn off the heat and stir in the tortilla chips and shredded cheese. Press the chips down so that nearly all of the chips are submerged, some may still stick out.
- Strew the chicken over the top, then cover and let stand 3 to 4 minutes.
- Gently stir everything together, then drizzle with the crema and sprinkle with the onion, optional grated queso anejo and cilantro.
- serve without hesitation.
Cut the recipe down for 4 and turned out great. DH finished it all. Nice and spicy on this cold, snowy day.