Recipe by Watkinslady30
Chicken breast wrapped around a homemade herb cream cheese filling. This recipe would make a great dish for company. It looks impressive and fairly inexpensive. This would be a great dish for those on a lower carbohydrate diet. I would serve this with some noodles or maybe a rice pilaf. Sometimes, I vary the recipe depending on my mood with different spices like tarragon and use paprika in addition to the salt and pepper before baking.
- 0.5 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half or 1 tablespoon light cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 dash dried oregano, crushed
- 1 dash dried thyme, crushed
- 1 dash dried marjoram, crushed
- 1 dash dried dill
- 1 dash dried basil, crushed
- 1 dash fresh ground black pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the softened cream cheese, softened butter or margarine, half and half or light cream, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, marjoram, dillweed, basil and dash of pepper. Stir until the mixture is well blended and smooth; set aside.
- Rinse the chicken breast halves under cold running water; pat dry with paper towels. Place each breast half, boned side up, between 2 pieces of heavy duty clear plastic wrap. Working from the center out to the edges, lightly pound the chicken breasts with the flat side of a meat mallet until the chicken is 1/4 inch thick. Remove the plastic wrap.
- Place 1 heaping tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture in the center of each flattened chicken breast half.
- Wrap the chicken breast around the cream cheese filling; secure with wooden toothpicks.
- Place the filled chicken breasts, seam side down, in a 2 quart square baking dish. Season the chicken with the freshly ground pepper and salt to taste.
- Bake in the 350 degree oven about 30 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and no longer pink.
- Spoon any melted cream cheese in the baking dish over the chicken.
- Serve hot.