Recipe by SusieQusie
We eat a lot of chicken and I'm always looking for ways to make it different. This quick recipe certainly is that!
Top Review by Cookin-jo
This is a fabulous recipe that my whole family loved and I can't wait to make it again. Absolutely delicious, easy to make and low in fat. The cooking times for each step are perfect. I wondered about the amount of balsamic vinegar and how it would go with the chili powder, but it really works so don't skimp on the vinegar. The big change I made was to substitute canned black beans, rinsed and drained, for the lima beans as no one here eats lima beans. I thought I had a red pepper but did not so I used jarred roasted red pepper. Perhaps not a true succotash my way but we loved it. This is good enough to serve to guests, at least those with adventurous tastes. Thanks, Susie!
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 1/2 pounds total)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion, use a sweet variety such as Vidalia
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups frozen lima beans, thawed
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (good, as Ina would would say ,-)
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth (or water)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together 1 tablespoon chili powder, salt and pepper. Sprinkle on the chicken pieces.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken pieces and cook 7-8 minutes per side until browned and juices run clear. Remove from skillet and tent loosely with foil.
- In the same skillet, add remaining olive oil and onions. Saute for 3 minutes then add red peppers and garlic. Continue cooking until onion is tender; about 5 minutes.
- Add corn, lima beans, remaining 1 teaspoon chili powder and the vinegar. Cook for 5 minutes. Add broth (or water) and parsley. Heat through.
- To serve, place a bed of succotash on a plate and top with whole or sliced chicken breasts.