Recipe by chia
this is from an old cookbook of mine called international cooking for the jewish home, so this is kosher as well as delicious! this can be made with a whole duck, quartered, just increase the original cooking time to 1 1/2 hrs. enjoy all you pomegranate lovers!
Top Review by Rosalind
This is a wonderful, flavourful recipe. Very tasty. But the sauce it too thin, I had to thicken it with cornstarch. I also did not care for the pomegranate seeds which remained very hard. But my family loved the taste and I would make it again with adjustments.
- 4 chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, ground in a processor
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 pomegranate, seeded
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, to taste
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- heat oil in skillet, brown chicken breasts on both sides, remove and set aside add tumeric and onions to skillet, and most of walnuts (reserve 2 tbsp for garnish).
- cook until light brown.
- transfer onion walnut mixture to a 6 quart pot.
- add broth, bring to boil, lower to simmer and cook for 15 minutes add chicken, cover, simmer for 45 minutes.
- meanwhile, cut pomegranate in quarters and remove seeds.
- add to the chicken along with lemon juice and sugar cover and cook for 30 minutes more.
- season with salt& pepper serve with rice and garnish with extra ground walnuts.