Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
this is from an old cookbook of mine called international cooking for the jewish home, so this is kosher as well as delicious! this can be made with a whole duck, quartered, just increase the original cooking time to 1 1/2 hrs. enjoy all you pomegranate lovers!
- 4 chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, ground in a processor
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 pomegranate, seeded
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, to taste
- salt & pepper
- heat oil in skillet, brown chicken breasts on both sides, remove and set aside add tumeric and onions to skillet, and most of walnuts (reserve 2 tbsp for garnish).
- cook until light brown.
- transfer onion walnut mixture to a 6 quart pot.
- add broth, bring to boil, lower to simmer and cook for 15 minutes add chicken, cover, simmer for 45 minutes.
- meanwhile, cut pomegranate in quarters and remove seeds.
- add to the chicken along with lemon juice and sugar cover and cook for 30 minutes more.
- season with salt& pepper serve with rice and garnish with extra ground walnuts.
This is a wonderful, flavourful recipe. Very tasty. But the sauce it too thin, I had to thicken it with cornstarch. I also did not care for the pomegranate seeds which remained very hard. But my family loved the taste and I would make it again with adjustments.
I thought this was far more work than it was worth. If I were to make it again, I would not put the pomegranate seeds in and cook them. I would save them and sprinkle them on top. I thickened mine with some cornstarch so that it made a sauce that could be used on rice.
Very good. First let me say that if I were judging on taste alone, this would get mor than 5 stars. The sauce is so delicious. I think next time I would cook the chicken on its own fully, and make the sauce on its own, allowing it to reduce much more. The sauce, while delicious, was very thin and brothy. I think that next time, I would use only half the amount of pomegranate seeds and nuts. But overall, this has a great flavor and looks lovely on the plate.