Iraqi Vanilla Cake With Pomegranate Sauce
This is a beautiful cake recipe from Iraq which is easy to make.
- Ready In:
- 4 free range eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup sweet pomegranate juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rose water
- Preheat oven to 180°C Grease and flour a large loaf pan.
- Beat egg yolks until thick & creamy. Gradually add vanilla and powdered sugar. Add dry ingredients and butter, beating with an electric mixer for 3 minutes on high speed, scrape down sides of bowl once or twice to ensure thorough mixing.
- Whip egg whites until stiff and fold them lightly into batter. Spread mixture into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 20 - 30 minutes: until it tests done (by a toothpick coming out clean when poked into it.).
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Whisk in sweet pomegranate juice. Bring to a boil, whisking continuously. Boil for about 2 minutes, until smooth thick and glossy. Remove from heat and stir in rosewater. Chill.
- To serve: brush a plate with pomegranate sauce and arrange 2 or 3 overlapping thin slices of cake over the sauce.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION