1/2 Photos of Chicken Vindaloo
1 hr 10 mins
Lorrie in Montreal's Note:
A divine East Indian recipe for chicken,easy and delicious! A Jeff Smith--Frugal Gourmet Recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -3 1/2 lb chicken, quartered and skinned
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- ghee or butter
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 cups yellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds, ground
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups water
- 1Salt and pepper the chicken quarters. Heat a large frying pan and brown the chicken in the Ghee. You will have to do this in two batches.
- 2Remove the chicken to a 6-quart stove-top covered casserole, leaving the fat in the pan.
- 3Add the garlic and onion to the pan and sauté until golden brown.
- 4Add to the casserole along with the ginger, cumin, mustard seed, cinnamon, cloves, turmeric, cayenne, and paprika.
- 5Sauté all for a few minutes and add all the remaining ingredients except for the garnishes.
- 6Cover and simmer until the chicken is tender. about 45 minutes. Stir a few times during cooking; partially remove the lid during the last 10 minutes or so to thicken the sauce. Top with garnishes.
- 7Ghee: Butter that is cooked to separate the clear butter fat from the milk solids and moisture, an ingenious method that allows butter to keep for long periods of time.
- 8Tamarind: Tamarind paste and concentrate, fresh products, are available in the produce section of many ethnic markets. Both products, made from the tamarind pod, need to be reconstituted.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Vindaloo
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 327.5
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 85.0 mg
- Sodium 1256.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 23.4 g