Jeanette G's Note:
My boss gave me this recipe when she was going to Weight Watchers. I tried it and was impressed with how easy it is to make and the great flavor. If you follow this recipe exactly this is only 3 points per serving. I myself never follow the serving and always tend to add more tortillas and chicken and cheese!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 large chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, roasted (or grilled cut into thin strips)
- 1/4 cup chopped avocado
- 4 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 200 degrees and thinly slice one of the tortillas and place it on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes until crisp.
- 2Crush the remaining 2 tortillas into small pieces.
- 3Heat 2 Tbs of the chicken broth in a pot and add your onion and garlic and cook about 2 minutes until softened.
- 4Add the remaining chicken broth, crushed tortillas, tomato sauce, cilantro, cumin, chili powder, bay leaf and salt.
- 5Bring this mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 6Discard bay leaf and transfer the mixture to a blender and puree working in batches to avoid overflows.
- 7Pour soup into 4 bowls and top each with tortilla strips, chicken, avocado and cheese.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Tortilla Soup for Dieters
Serving Size: 1 (378 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 184.1
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 23.8 mg
- Sodium 1294.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 15.3 g