Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My boss gave me this recipe when she was going to Weight Watchers. I tried it and was impressed with how easy it is to make and the great flavor. If you follow this recipe exactly this is only 3 points per serving. I myself never follow the serving and always tend to add more tortillas and chicken and cheese!
- 3 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 large chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, roasted (or grilled cut into thin strips)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped avocado
- 4 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees and thinly slice one of the tortillas and place it on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes until crisp.
- Crush the remaining 2 tortillas into small pieces.
- Heat 2 Tbs of the chicken broth in a pot and add your onion and garlic and cook about 2 minutes until softened.
- Add the remaining chicken broth, crushed tortillas, tomato sauce, cilantro, cumin, chili powder, bay leaf and salt.
- Bring this mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf and transfer the mixture to a blender and puree working in batches to avoid overflows.
- Pour soup into 4 bowls and top each with tortilla strips, chicken, avocado and cheese.
Oh, so enjoyable!! I used tomato passata instead of tomato sauce as that's what I happened to have on hand; 300 g of chicken, which was plenty indeed, and probably double the avocado called for. It was still not bad calorie-wise, and simply immensly delicious! Will definitely go into the rotation - thank you so much for sharing!
SO incredibly delicious in addition to being healthy!!! This is a meal in our house at least a couple of times a month. Thanks so much for sharing!!!
This was delicious! I added some diced red bell peppers and celery to give it a few more veggies and loved it! It was just as good as some of the mexican restaurants' soup. Thanks for sharing! We will be having this again for sure.