This recipe is quick and easy and serves many people, I often freeze them in portion sizes for a quick meal.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped bell pepper (green, red or yellow)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) canrotel original tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 (14 ounce) canshunts fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained rinsed
- corn tortilla strips
- In a stock pot heat oil and add the onions and peppers and cook until onions are translucent. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and cook 1 minute.
- Add the wine to deglaze the pot and simmer for 1 minute. Add the rotel, fire roasted tomatoes, chicken stock, bay leaf and chicken to the pot.
- Cook 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked and remove the chicken from the pot, set aside to cool.
- Add the corn and continue simmering soup while chicken cools enough to shred, or cube whichever you prefer, approximately 15 minutes.
- Add the beans and chicken bring back to simmer and cook for additional 5 minutes.
- You can purchase tortilla strips in most grocery stores in the produce ailes, or you can buy small corn tortillas, cut them into strips and either bake at 400 degree oven till golden brown or fry them in a pan until golden. Use these to garnish the top of the soup, you can also add a dollop of sour cream to the top of the strips if you like.