Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I got this recipe out of a Pampered Chef catalog. It is delicious, but a bit spicy. My husband doesn't like soup but loves this.
- 4 tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or 1 teaspoon already minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, undrained
- 4 teaspoons cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup colby-monterey jack cheese
- 4 slices fresh limes, thick (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut tortillas into 1/2 inch strips and bake 7-8 minutes or until crisp.
- Cook chicken until lightly browned in pan large enough to make soup.
- Add onion, garlic, cilantro, chili powder and cumin.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes and chilies.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Pour soup into bowls and sprinkle with cheese and tortilla strips.
- Garnish with lime slices.
Every time I make this I love it even more! Thanks!
The bulk of this recipe isn't too bad, but it definitely needed some kick. On top of adding a lot more salt we added 1/2 tsp of chipolte chili powder, a finely diced jalapeno, and 1/4 tsp cayenne. I cooked the chicken on the stove and then cut it up really small too. Served with crushed tortilla chips and cheese. Yummy!
PERFECT! Exactly what I was looking for. Living 6 months of the year in Baja, we fell in love with Tortilla Soup. This recipe was exactly what we could not get translated from Spanish in Baja. We are in Love !