Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 -3 fresh garlic cloves, minced (or 1/2 t garlic powder)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 large fresh tomatoes, diced
- 2 -3 large anaheim chilies, diced (clean and strip seeds and pith)
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups broth
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 6 -8 skinless chicken thighs (may substitute 18 oz canned chicken or 3 split breasts) or 6 -8 skinless chicken drumsticks (may substitute 18 oz canned chicken or 3 split breasts)
- 4 -6 corn tortillas, cut in strips and fried crisp
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro (to garnish)
- 1 lime
- Grill or fry chicken till juices run clear. De-bone and set aside.
- Combine fresh tomatoes 1/2 of the onion the and Anaheim Chiles in blender and puree until soupy and chunks are gone.
- In a large stockpot,heat olive oil over medium heat. Add remaining onion and sauté until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and the tomato, onion and chili mixture from blender.
- Add chicken stock, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, cayenne and salt. Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Dice the grilled chicken and add to soup just before serving.
- Garnish each serving with crispy tortilla strips, large chunks of avocado, a dollop of sour cream and a few cilantro leaves.
- Add a squeeze of lime juice, if desired.