I wanted some soup one winter night and came up with this one using what I had on hand. I served it with toasted Italian bread and topped with parmesan cheese. Hope you enjoy it!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix (original blend)
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 9 ounces 3 cheese tortellini (refrigerated, I used Butoni)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, loosely packed
- fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large pot, heat the butter until melted.
- Add the carrots, celery, onions, and garlic. Saute until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, fresh thyme, and Mrs Dash. Saute another 5-8 minutes.
- Add the broth and heat to almost boiling.
- Add the tortellini and chicken and simmer until the tortellini are cooked through (about 10 minutes).
- Add the spinach leaves and simmer for 5 minutes until the spinach is wilted.
- Serve hot, topped with parmesan cheese.